Friday, May 26, 2006

I'm a Lazy Bastard

Yes I know it's been awhile. So either a.) nothing is going on in politics; b.) I haven't had any good beer; or c.) I'm a lazy bastard. Easy choice.....when in doubt choose "c," right?

Quick recap for ya, because I am after all, a lazy bastard.

  • The 2006 Legislative Session wrapped up last Sunday night. Just because I'm looking for some sympathy, I'll tell you that from Friday the 19th to Sunday the 21st, I worked almost 50 hours. But it paid off. You may have read that the Legislature passed a bill financing a new stadium for our, um, lackluster Twins, but thanks to the work of my boss and me (yes, that is the sound of me tooting my own horn), we also did some wonderful things for early care and education. Child Care WORKS has a great summary if you want to learn more.
  • Another fucking visit to the Happy Gnome, because, Christ, their beer list is soooooo good (but their website still sucks...I'M WAITING!!). I've been in a hoppy mood lately, and tried the Rogue Mogul, which is much better than the Hop Wallop from Victory. The Mogul is extremely complex, with 5 kinds of malts and 7 kinds of hops (or so I read). Despite it weighing in at about 80 IBUs, I felt I could drink it all night. The Wallop on the other hand, is just over the top with hops. Nothing else. Just hops. Good I guess, but not too creative, in my opinion. And the Gnome's new patio is open. Give it some time for the wood to fade and the vines to take over, and it will be again rank as one of the best patios in town.
  • Finally, my mother- and brother-in-law are in town from France (which would explain why my wife is from France). For three and a half weeks. It's always much better and is much easier than I anticipate it's going to be. And besides, Flo's mom brought me a Chimay Red and a Kwak, two of the best Belgian brews out there.

That's all I have. Now that summer is upon us (in the 90s all weekend!) I expect the blogging to slow down a little--unless you want to hear about long days in the interim at the Capitol or drinking shitty lagers after a bike ride. But maybe you do. Until then....

No comments: