Monday, June 19, 2006

Mmm, 3.2 beer

Here's a quandary for you: You have two choices of beer to drink: MGD or Summit. Each is 3.2 beer (or "near beer") and each costs $6. However, the MGD is sold in 16-ounce cups and the Summit in 12-ounce cups. Which do you buy? The crappy beer, which you get more of, or the better beer, which you get less of? Take my poll and let me know.

This could never happen, you say. Who would pull this sort of mean trick? Ah, the fine folks at the Metrodome, during all sporting events, that's who. I happened to experience this Sophie's choice at a Twins game a couple weeks ago. What made it even worse is that we had come from Town Hall Brewery, one of the best brew pubs in the Twin Cities, where we had our fill of their amazing cask-conditioned Masala Mamma IPA. I'm told that the new stadium Hennepin County is building will serve real beer, and have a better choice. Maybe I'll go to more games now, although I doubt it.

Just to note, we finished the evening at Alary's in downtown St. Paul. One wouldn't expect a Hooters type of bar to have good beer (or for me to visit a Hooters type of bar), but they did, and I did, and that's all I'll say about it.

No comments: